The Forester newspaper has been serving the people of the Forest of Dean since 1874.
THE Forester began life as The Dean Forest Guardian in 1874. It was launched by Thomas Bright, who started life as an apprentice printer for Charles Cooper Hough in Coleford. The Dean Forest Guardian was originally based in Coleford. When Thomas Bright died, his son Arthur succeeded him as editor.
The Guardian was not the Forest of Dean’s first newspaper, however. A paper called The Forester was first launched in 1860, but it was not a success and collapsed in 1866. It was taken over by The Citizen and ran until the 1880s.