Newent RFC was re-formed in 1970. There is some evidence to show that Newent originally began playing as a team in the early 1900’s.
In Spring 1970, a meeting was organised by Mike Poole and Dickie Harris to discuss starting a rugby club in Newent Town. Mike previously played for Hereford RFC and Dickie, a former landlord of The Yew Tree Inn at Cliffords Mesne, played for Harlequins RFC in the 1950’s. A rugby club was duly formed with a nucleus of players and ran its operation from The Red Lion in Newent Town centre.The club logo was chosen as a phoenix rising from the ashes to symbolise the club’s rebirth.
A highlight of those early days was getting to the Gloucester Combination Junior Cup Final at Kingsholm, only to draw 3-3 with Gordon League II, a very strong club in those days. A replay was held and Newent narrowly lost.
The first tour was organised, to Parc de Prince in Paris to watch the France-England International and than play a french team.
In the late 1970’s a decision was taken to lease the redundant Newent Grammar School woodwork & metalwork building to provide a clubhouse, with bar, kitchen and function room. A team of dedicated volunteers, mainly players (led by Keith Laken), completely renovated the building which opened in September 1980 ready for the 1980/81 Season.