Lydbrook Athletic was originally formed in 1919. At this time and for many years to follow, players and supporters were taken across the River Wye by ferry to the pitch in Lower Lydbrook.
In the 1930’s a new recreation ground, in Central Lydbrook was built, which became the home of Lydbrook Athletic for many years. The ground is still used by Lydbrook Athletic Reserves, ‘A’ team and junior sides today.
The club reformed in 1943, playing friendlies during and after the Second World War.
In the 1950’s, the club ran two teams, competing in the Gloucestershire and Herefordshire Senior Leagues.
During this period, Lydbrook Athletic were five times Hereford Senior League Champions, twice the Hereford FA Challenge Cup Champions, twice the Hereford Charity Bowl Winners and twice the Kington Challenge Cup Winners.