The historic market town of Cinderford is in the very heart of the Royal Forest of Dean. It grew where the Littledean to Coleford road crossed Bideford Brook . The name dates back to 1258, when it was spelled ‘Synderford’. Iron ore has been mined and smelted in the area for hundreds of years, and of course coal mining has been part of the forest life.
The town offers an excellent variety of shops, as well as a thriving open air market. There are also 28 local pubs, cafes and restaurants, covering everything from Indian and Chinese to traditional CinderfordEnglish food, as well as locally brewed beers. The town is surrounded by forest, so residents and visitors are ideally placed to take advantage of many acres of beautiful woodland. plus a range of top quality films which are shown in its wonderfully restored Edwardian theatre, the Palace Cinema.